Wednesday, December 16, 2015

I Fell

I’ve finished my chores and now have other safer chores to do. I fell. I misjudged the distance I needed to swing my leg over the fence and got my foot all tangled up in it. The fall was inevitable so I made a quick assessment and decided to throw myself over the fence out of the duck pen. Falling into the duck pen would be like falling into a pig pen. I landed on my hip and thumb. My thumb still hurts but my hip is ok. I landed in such a heap with my foot all twisted up in the fence. Immediately I could feel the wet mud on my skin.  I hate falling in mud.  Regular mud is not as bad though as duck pen mud. I couldn’t straighten my foot without getting up and falling back into the duck pen. Fortunately I didn’t land on my butt this time but managed to stay up on the one free foot so that I could untangle myself. Every year I have an allotment of falls. This is the first one for this winter. I haven’t kept track of the yearly number so I don’t know how many I have left. I try to be careful yet somehow I end up falling. I try to remember to walk carefully on the deck, in the wet or icy weather, to step carefully over the fences and to look where I’m going. I’m thankful that I haven’t broken anything. Not even the fence. It’s one of those portable nylon electric fences that you can plug in if you want to. I know you are trying to picture me all tangled up in the fence, laying in the mud. I will have to sketch that out because it always happens when I’m alone out there with no one to take a picture. A sketch will be much more fun anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment