Monday, July 28, 2014

Childhood Imagination

I missed two days writing. Saturday and Sunday. I went back to bed both days. I had an allergy which kept me sneezing violently for a whole day and part of the next, even with medicine. I was tired. The days were busy as weekends always are, especially Saturday. We picked beans and processed harvested corn and weeded and mulched the cucumber patch. There was laundry and cleaning to do. I feel as though I’m fighting a cold in my sinuses. The summer weather is not at all like summer weather but more like fall. Cool nights and some days then hot days as well with really high humidity. It’s hard on the sinuses, I suppose. Anyway I went back to bed two days and didn’t write. I missed it though. Stephan our grandson spent the long weekend with us. I loved having him, so did Chloe. Writing first thing in the morning when the sky is gray and the house is quiet is something I’m really coming to enjoy. It makes a huge difference to my day. I start off not having anything to write about and struggle through the first half, but once I get to the end I’m energized and in creative mode. I feel as though I can take on anything. I’ve even been better at cleaning. It’s like the most challenging thing is out of the way so anything else is possible. Once I’ve been doing this for three or four weeks it will be habit. I remember when I lived in town, I ran everyday, or walked briskly. It energized me as well. This is the same kind of thing. After we moved to the country to the outskirts of a new town I was at a loss as to where to run. I didn’t know the neighborhoods nor where the tracks are. I stopped running and walking. It was not a good feeling. I tried to do indoor exercises on indoor machines, but we all know how that turns out. I may try something like that with Chloe when she gets older. We could walk to the nearby housing development where her grandparents live. That could work. But for now I’m developing this habit of writing first thing. The brain is an amazing part of our bodies and is capable of so much if only pushed beyond our comfort level. Inspiration comes with use. You hear of people not being inspired, but now I feel that perhaps it’s because of stagnation. Like a pond with water but no where to go. Oh, what a concept. When a body of water has somewhere to go it freshens itself along the way. It is seeing different things and feeling different things and turning a corner it surprises itself. It has races down hillsides and bounces and splashes and sprays over and around boulders and ripples gracefully over smooth stones. It is happy, alive and full of energy. Always discovering something new. It is even sustaining other beings and giving energy all along it’s way. But a pond with no outlet like our little fish pond, it becomes stagnant and dark. Yes it is mysterious, but not in a lively refreshing way. It grows a thickness and becomes a poison. But water which flows, that water cleans itself and is clear. Our brains are like that. We need to be flowing. Moving along and letting the words flow. Following the contour of the land. Discovery and surprise keeping us alert and the ideas coming simply from the journey. I missed that this weekend. It wasn’t so long that I had to start again. Having Stephan and Chloe, two keenly creative souls whose childishness is still deeply ingrained in their senses. Spending time with them is like an exercise in itself. Have you ever noticed how grownups tend to move toward really, super boring and uncomfortable material. Making art static and uninspired. Children have the ability to twist and turn the ordinary into fantastical memorable events which have no end and no beginning and which include all the emotions in such a way as can be quickly put away and a different one emerges just like that. You are kept on your toes. Wondering what will be next. Enjoying one fantasy after another all while doing absolutely ordinary tasks. Children see the world in a completely different way than we as adults do. Spending time with children can if you have the right understanding about them, give you access into their timeless world. I know that their are adults who want children to become adult as soon as possible. To take on responsibilities and feel the heavy burdens of the life created for them, with no creativity in it. A boring world which adults feel safe in. One in which those adults believe will provide happiness and security for themselves and their children. A world in which children are uncomfortable and in trouble. Or a world in which the child is kept so busy there is very little time for imaginative discovery. A world full of man-made props. Then their are other adults who long to be given passports to the world of childhood fantasy. Who long to be able to open the door in their own minds to enter childhoods paradise. Spending time discovering and blending with free children, who have time to themselves. Time to explore and discover. Begging to be let in and see what’s there. Where will we go today? Who will we meet? What challenges shall we face? Will we borrow time with a strangers imagination or will we be creators of our own worlds. It is not all fun and games in the world of imagination. Sometimes it is very serious and highly unlikely and tragic things happen and it involves all of us in someway or another. Spending time with children is something like a daily writing exercise, where the imagination is encouraged to flow and meant to be taken seriously. If you have the energy and can let go of the reasonable and proper, you just may be allowed to enter.

Elizabeth Williams, daily writing exercise, 1,023 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment