Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Gratitude - 7 My Writing Teachers

I'm grateful for my writing teachers.  No, I'm not in school, although at times it seems so.  I still have teachers.  Teachers are those who instruct me whether they know it or not.  I have taken online college courses and may consider that again someday, but for now my training is informal to say it best.  There is Kristi Holl and her emails and blog posts and the work she does with the Institute of Children's Literature.  There is Preslaysa Williams whom I follow on her blog and face book page.  Then there is Jeff Goins who provides so much that you have to choose by priority.  There are numerous authors on face-book and blogs.  There are community events and author meets locally.  Not to mention actual books to read.  All of these hold the standard high for me.  Then there are my dear friends and family who tirelessly boost my self-esteem.  My writing group is right in there as well.  Where would I be without all these teachers?  Just today I read about the attitude of an apprentice being that of humility, the hard work of the journeyman and the high standards of the Masters.  Then I read another article about the balance between contentment with where I'm at and striving to grow.  This all leads me to say that I'm grateful for my writing teachers and that it can only go up from here.  It doesn't matter that I have so little formal education now because in the world we live in we have access to as many teachers as we want as long as we have the desire to learn.  So for now I am content in the position of apprentice and I'm grateful for all those who give so much to my instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment